XR COP26 Network Needs You!
October 22, 2020
Who are we?
We are a network of rebels from around the world who want to make COP26 the biggest and most successful COP ever. This means we have to start now!
What are we trying to achieve?
We aim to bring together XR national groups so that they can collaborate to deliver powerful actions
- In the months before COP26 when many of the most important decisions are being made
- At the COP26 event in Glasgow in November 2021
- After COP26 if it fails to deliver
What are the key things we need to influence now?
By the end of 2020, every country has to revise the pledge they made in Paris in 2015 about their carbon emissions. These are called Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) and making them both robust and equitable is arguably the greatest challenge the world faces. Of course, these negotiations are happening at the same time as countries will be picking up their economies after COVID 19. Unless they are committed to Green Recoveries, nations will not deliver on NDCs. So we need to put pressure on politicians to provide funding for Green Recovery packages and to negotiate responsible NDCs
How will we do this?
We are aiming to get national representatives from every country in the world to join forces with us, even where there is not currently an XR group set up. We will seek to collaborate with global civil society partners and set up a team of advisors who have experience in COP negotiations. We will provide structures and inclusive processes so we have powerful strategies and actions drawn from XR rebels worldwide and ensure the amplification of marginalised countries and groups.
What have we done so far?
We have been developing the working groups which will play a key role in delivering our objectives. You can find out more about these groups and the overall structure we are building in this mindmap & presentation: https://prezi.com/view/DwpkJCUTkKJy32xSH6Rm. We have also been working to develop links with other organisations, external advisors, and to build our network of international links. Although we are progressing well, we still need more dedicated rebels to bring along their enthusiasm and skills.
What do we need?
We need rebels who can:
- join and participate in the working groups. We especially need expertise in the Media&Messaging and Actions groups
- be a COP26 link for their country and build collaborative communication between the COP26 Network, their national groups, and the other international links
- be an expert adviser, so if you are an expert (COP, government, strategist, climate science, etc) or know one who may be XR friendly, help us get connected
How can we be contacted?
If you’d like more information or want to volunteer to help please contact us, if possible with details of where you’re from and how you’d like to contribute
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- register your interest on the ‘Getting involved’ channel of the COP team on Mattermost
Want to know more? LINK to Q&A